THE FILM FESTIVAL 2018
Art, gastronomy & children conduct the 28th Film Festival on Vienna’s Rathausplatz
- From Bernstein to Falco - jubilees of famous persons top off the musical programme
- From Loukoumades to Surf'n'Turf - delicacies from all over the world enrich the enjoyment
- New highlight: Children now have their very own opera festival, including a programme of activities, in the park.
While the combination of great music productions and first class gastronomy are already a traditional part of the popular summer event in the heart of the city, a special programme for younger visitors will provide an attractive and high-quality addition: Within the scope of the Film Festival a small Children's Opera Festival takes place.
Every Friday at 5:00 p.m., famous opera films and popular music productions for children from 6 to 14 years are offered on a special LED-screen in the Rathauspark. Starting at 2 p.m., a programme of activities with supervised hands-on areas and games will offer plenty of fun and excitement before the later cultural delights.
As usual, admission to the Classic Film Festival and the Children’s Opera Festival is free of charge.
Click here to find the detailed programme:
Top productions from all music genres
This year Leonard Bernstein would be celebrating his 100th birthday, the Bossa Nova is 60 years of age and it is the 20th anniversary of Falco’s death. The Film Festival not only takes the anniversaries of great musicians and artists into account, but also has many more highlights to offer. In 2018 the programme once more includes the popular mixture of opera, classical concerts and dance as well as pop and jazz concerts.
High-end gourmet catering invites you on a culinary trip around the world
In the gastronomy area 26 top chefs take care of the visitors’ physical well-being. Managed by the international company DO & CO, the chefs of the Film Festival will be preparing culinary delicacies from around the world together with popular dishes from local cuisine every day between 11:00 am and midnight. Top wines from the nation’s capital, that have been honoured with the Vienna Wine Prize, can be tasted at the Film Festival at an own stand.
Save the Date
• The after-work evening including happy hour will take place on Thursday: "Get two & Pay one" is the motto during Aperoltime from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. The cool sound to go with it is provided by Djane Collette on the "Riva Aperol" until 8:00 p.m.
• The Friday is devoted to the younger visitors. Child-friendly opera and music productions are scheduled from 5:00 pm. The preceding programme of activities will start at 2:00 pm in the park.
• The Saturday is, and already has been for many years, under the sign of the local music scene. The Artists’ Saturdays offer a live music programme and unplugged performances by long-standing musicians and up-and-coming talents.
• The Sunday completes the supporting programme with a symbiosis of art and gastronomy which is characteristic for the Film Festival: In cooperation with the JazzFest Vienna, popular jazz bands will be playing at different locations on City Hall Square from 12:00 noon until 2:30 pm as part of the Jazz ‘Frühschoppen’ event.
Great emphasis on service
There is a total of 5,200 seats for festival visitors, with a 300 m2 open-air screen and a sound system with natural space simulation ensures the highest acoustic quality and untroubled musical joy on the whole square. For persons with special requirements the seat-rows in front of the screen can be reached without obstacles and there is also sufficient space for wheelchair users. Ca. 300 seats are equipped with an induction loop for persons with hearing problems. Cashless payment via cash-points or with credit cards is possible at the gastronomy stands. For perfect culinary enjoyment the "Magic sky" umbrella in the middle of the square and the awnings over the gastronomy units offer plenty of protection.
Film Festival on Vienna’s Rathausplatz
From June 30th to September 2nd 2018
Films start daily at nightfall
Gastronomy 11:00 a.m. to midnight
Children’s Opera Festival in Rathauspark
Every Friday during the Film Festival starting 5:00 pm
Programme of activities from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm